Vacuum Monitoring of Diesel Fuel Systems
Vacuum gauges and alarm switches, shown above, are used to monitor your diesel fuel system, including the filter element. As the element becomes clogged, fuel flow becomes more restricted resulting an increase in vacuum on the engine side of the fuel filter.
A vacuum gauge can be used for more than just checking the condition
of your fuel filter. Many variables in your fuel system will affect the readings
on your gauge. Here are some examples:
Some possible causes for
|Some possible causes for
- Dirty Primary fuel filter
- High density filter media being used (2 micron filter cartridge. 30 micron is recommended)
- The use of a fuel strainer on the pick up tube in the tank
- Undersized fuel Lines
- Fuel valves not fully open
- Blocked fuel tank venting kinked hose or
insects in the overboard screen (check your Fire Extinguisher Hose ends
- Fuel hose inner liner collapsed
- New secondary fuel filter
- Lower fuel level in tanks
- Fuel Gelling (very cold temp.)
- Dirty secondary fuel filter
- High level of fuel in tanks
- Worn fuel pump
- New Primary filter
Find our vacuum products in our Engine Room.
- Readings should be taken at cruising RPM or higher while under load. The drag point feature really comes in handy because it remembers the maximum vacuum.
- Some engines use the fuel flow in the system for cooling of the injectors
and pump. Even though the engine is running well, you might have a improper
fuel flow. Check with your engine dealer.
- Most Diesel engines use a mechanical fuel pump (lift pump), which will cause
the needle to vibrate. Dash mounted (hose run dampens) and gauges with a restricter
will also dampen this effect. With the proper valves it can also be used to
check for any leaks in the suction side of the system.
Click here for Racor marine filter information.
Sensor installs easily on the outside of your tank. Awarded Practical Sailor Editor's Choice 2009
Everything you need to upgrade your Yanmar,Perkins or other saddle mount dual foot alternators to the most efficient charging system for AGM or flooded cell batteries
Charge faster Charge better!
Jan '09 Practical Sailor's Highest Lumen Output!The Brightest output LED system, pleasing color,
broad focus, very low battery draw. Fits into vertical and horizontal fixtures! Zero radio interference!
An excellent LED Bow light. Easy to mount Made in USA!
On Sale Now. MSRP
$242.00, Now $195.00!
Solve onboard mounting problems fast! A little goes a long way!
Hook and pull action slices entangled lines from your prop or rudder!
Due to higher than expected sales, we're temporarily out of stock of Hooknives. We anticipate to ship Hooknives by end of June.
The ultra bright pocket light!
"Toughest and Brightest" - Practical Sailor